Monday, April 16, 2007

Enterprise 2.0 - New Buzzword

Web 2.0 has changed the way we use Internet and I am not away from its influence, Lets take some example,

Nowadays I scrap my friends on orkut (People Networking) to keep them in touch rather then giving offline message on Yahoo . believe me, two years back i used to have 5 offline messages everyday even though i have very short friend list, it reduced to one or almost none now because almost all my friends are on orkut and offline messages has changed in scraps.

Nowadays I don't add the links to in my explorer favorites, rather i use del.icio.us (Bookmarking and tagging site) and add them there, so i can get access it from anywhere (specially from office, its my good luck it is not yet blocked in my office :-) ) and I also use other's bookmark.

Nowadays I don't send my new photos to my friends indivdually, I upload it on flickr (Photo sharing site) and send a link to my friend group. It's really great pleasure to have comments on those photos from friends and same thing applies for videos on YouTube(Video Sharing)

To keep updated my knowledge on the my favorite subjects I dont go to different internet sites, rather I use Google Reader(RSS Feed) for that.

No more days, when to get some information I have to turn different pages of google, I use wiki (encyclopedia) as my first preference (even google gives same for most of things :-) ).

In nutshell, inadvertently I entered in web2.0 and it changed the way i use Internet in my personal life, great.... but my professional life has not changed yet, still i create word document and share it to my colleagues by emails. I have to manually search repository for different documents, I have to navigate different internal sites to know about policies, best practices and other organization stuff.

Technology leaders has noticed this gap, and created a concept "Enterprise 2.0". Though lots of different definition available, In my words Enterprise2.0 is a collaborative platform to use web2.0 (searching, people networking, blogging, wiki, bookmarking and tag sharing, RSS feed etc.) within intranet.

In other words, Enterprise 2.0 is infrasturcure for environment where employees can search the document using globle search, they can express their views on their internal blogs, they can share their bookmarks on particular topics with others,RSS feed for topics which is useful for their daily work and can make them inovative. day to day knowledge are well kept in wikis and taged which is searchable. This kind of envrionment enable Bottom-Up work approach rather then traditional Top-down and can make employees more expressive and adoptive for new ideas which is key for success.

Best of my knowledge, Andrew McAfee "Associate professor of Hardward Business School" has coined this term in first quater of 2006. Though McAfee itself reported that there was some article written by Stuart Eccles "UK based Internet consultant" before he start writing Enterprise 2.0, McAfee is famous in medai as a leader and founder of this term.

Lots of leading organizations have started adopting this funda, as an example, Wells Fargo has deployed a hosted version of the KnowNow Market Intelligence solution which monitors broad range of public RSS feed and notify employees based on their selected criteria. They have started blogs to put information about student loan.

Lots of vendors are very optimistic about new business in this area and few are ready with their product and marketing them under the tag of Enterprise 2.0


  • IBM become first vendor to adopted google gadget in their commerical portal applications websphere. This can create syndication of small application on user's portal based on their interest.
  • BEA has launched new website name as "En.terpri.se" to showcase his ability in this new area and ready with there new product named as Pages (wiki kind of application to create and manage web pages with RSS capabilities) , Ensememble (mashup application), and Pathways (application for tagging, searching and bookmarking service).
  • Oracle has product known as "Oracle webCenter" which can be used by knowledge workers as a single Web interface to access a wide range of enterprise services, including business applications, enterprise content, business intelligence, enterprise search, communication and collaboration services, and Web 2.0-centric applications.

Leaders in this area has started communication with world using international conference.I could find following events.

  • Enterprise 2 Conference -(http://www.enterprise2conf.com/IT) vendors like Cisco, IBM, BEA, Webex are sponsoring this event. It is sheduled on 18th – 21th june 07 in boston. Purpose of this conference to leverage Enterprise 2.0 to business community. Enterprise 2.0 leaders (Andrew McAfee and David Weinberger) , Business leader (Mike Rhodin-general manager IBM lotus and Marthin De Beer Senior VP, CISCO ) will going to present keynotes.
  • Enteprise 2 Rave - (http://www.enterprise2rave.com/) This 2 days event is scheduled on 21st May at NYC, and leaders like Andrew , Ivis are speaker.

From my point of view, this new concept will take some time to come into action, but it has very good momentum. I believe that this is going to bring a drastic change how we works currently but it will come its own challenges like security and Interactual Property constraint(IP) for the companies which works for mutlipul client simultenously. Though we already have all the technology to acheive this concept, it will not be so easy to bring into the implementation for lots of company very soon as it demands change in culture of company and attitude of workforce.

Lets keep watch and enjoy the transition from E1.0 to E2.0 !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please fell free to share the events with my Enterprise 2.o and to join Google Groups Beta please enter email id here and press .

To just visit the group use this Enteprise 2.0 link.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: